Wednesday, April 29

Golden Girls.

I know this sounds crazy, but I really think that watching The Golden Girls makes me a better person.


When I was a kid, I remember staying home from school sick and Golden Girls would come on. I'd try to watch, but I was too young to understand it. I remember thinking that the only set they used was a bare room with a kitchen table, where they sat and talked and ate. I thought the whole show consisted of them sitting around, like The View or something.

Then, after I started college, my roommate (and very, very good friend) and I got really sick one night and curled up on the couches, miserable. Flipping through the channels, we stopped on Lifetime. They were playing a Golden Girls marathon and we started watching an episode called The Flu, in which all the girls get really sick and mad at each other. A few hours later, we couldn't believe that we were watching and laughing and feeling a lot better, even though we were still sick.

I eventually got a couple of seasons on DVD. As a kid, I never thought I could relate to the show. Now these ladies feel like my friends! I know, I never thought I would be saying this either but I LOVE GOLDEN GIRLS. I think they've really changed my life, even if it's just a little. I have been watching season 3 on youtube and every episode makes me laugh but honestly it makes me think. I've learned about being independent, funny, confident, kind, honest, understanding, tolerant, a good friend and much more. All in all, the show is lessons on how to be a great, well-rounded woman. I guess you can say I look up to these fictional characters and they have actually turned out to be relevant, inspiring role models - even though they were in their fifties and sixties (no older than thirty-five, if you ask Blanche) when I was born.

Did you know they consumed over 100 cheesecakes on-air during the run of the show?



Seriously, how weird is it that this is the show that really sticks with me? I wouldn't believe it if I were you.

2 comments:

Just SO said...

I loved that show when it was on! I haven't watched it in a long time though. Such great characters played by amazing actresses.

Nick and Emily said...

OH THE KNOWLEDGE YOU HAVE. i love it. and i'm sorry that one of them passed away recently but glad you are willing to learn from any situation. what a great attribute.